Monday, April 11, 2011

Radooga and Its Contagious Mission

Ashley "Sash" and me at our surprise 4th of July cookout at camp 2010


One of the most telling things about Radooga and it's mission for the orphans in Ukraine is how much it touches people's hearts.  It is a dangerous thing to read this blog (consider yourself warned), to talk to any of us involved with Radooga, and especially to go to Ukraine and meet the kids first-hand.  You will carry a piece of the experience with you for a lifetime. 

I was drawn to my first trip after a slideshow and presentation at my church, Midtown Fellowship.  As touched (and saddened) as I was by the situation of the orphans in Ukraine, I must admit my initial thoughts were more along the lines of "I don't have time for that",  "I don't have the money to go," "I don't speak Russian," "I'm not sure I even know where Ukraine is," and especially selfishly, "If I'm going to take 2 weeks off from work/school, I'm going to the beach!"  Those thoughts, though numerous, were easily drowned out by the pull in my heart that said..."Were you listening?  You can't NOT go."  So I did.

My second year, I sent out letters to friends and family, asking once again for donations and prayers for our team.  I sent one of these letters to my best friend, Ashley Hartsook (pictured above).  Ashley got her letter in the mail and called me immediately.  Ashley didn't want to donate just money or time; she wanted to go.  This was only a few months before the trip and I sadly informed her that our team was full but that I would check with our trip leader, Russ.  Two days later, I got a call from Russ that one of our team members could no longer go and wanting to know if I knew anyone else who would want to/be able to join us...I did.  It was wonderful having my best friend join our team last summer!  It's hard to explain what the experience is like, why you would want to summer in Ukraine year after year, or to have someone share the thrill of getting a message from one of the kiddos over Vkontake (Russian facebook), so it has been such a blessing that my bestie is now a part of that.

Another funny thing happened last year as well.  I have told my family (nay, talked their ears off) all about Radooga's missions and my trips to Ukraine.  They have been incredibly supportive (and patient with my story-telling).  So when Oleg, Radooga's founder, was going to Atlanta in the fall, I encouraged him to contact my parents about possibly attending or speaking at a Rotary meeting, in an effort to spread Radooga's mission and recruit more support.  My parents coordinated a visit with Oleg, who (I think) will be coming to speak at their club again soon.  After meeting Oleg, my dad called me immediately to say what a presence he was and how so many people were drawn to him and Radooga's mission to serve the orphans in Ukraine.  Though my parents haven't been able to come to Ukraine with me (yet?), to know Oleg is to know Radooga and I feel so blessed that they are involved now as well.

So be forewarned:  reading this blog today may lead to your own involvement with Radooga tomorrow.



Oleg, Mama Reising, and Papa Bear at Rotary 2010 (yes Mom, I posted your picture on the internet- you look great :))

 

No comments:

Post a Comment